Career Opportunities: Post-doctoral assistant (5361)
Req ID 5361 – Posted 19/06/2017 – Assistant academic staff – 100% – Faculty of Sciences – WE10 – Biochemistry and microbiology
- Apply until 07/04/2017 23:59 CET
- Faculty of Sciences
- Department WE10 – Biochemistry and microbiology
- AAP temporary appointment – 100%
- 1 position(s)
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
The L-MEB research group has gained expertise in research on the causes of bee mortality. Initially, this research was mainly focused on the honeybee, but for several years we have expanded our scope to the wild bees also. The lab was involved in the genome sequencing of the honeybee in 2006, and was meritorious in that context with proteomic analyses of bee venoms, and various comparative transcriptome studies. The L-MEB research group has just initiated studies based on Next Generation Sequencing, but given the ever-increasing importance of data processing in this type of research, our team should be strengthen here. It is clear that in the next years, research on bee mortality will develop further around these technologies and L-MEB wishes to play here a leading role.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research.
- You will assist in teaching activities at the Bachelor’s (in Dutch) or Master’s level.
- You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and
- Master’s dissertation.
- You will counsel doctoral students.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree: Doctor of Sciences, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Doctor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Doctor of Biomedical Sciences, Doctor of Applied Biological Sciences: Cel and Gene Biotechnology or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have already conducted research using -omics technologies and you performed wet-lab studies and data analyses of high- throughput sequencing experiments, for instance whole genome sequencing, whole exome sequencing and/or RNA-Seq.
- You are familiar with the Linux operating system and data processing through command-line.
- You have at least basic knowledge of programming in R and/or python.
- You are willing to apply these technologies for research in the field of insect physiology and pathology.
- You may present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peer-reviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher in your doctorate.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
You have a high level of Dutch proficiency.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a three-year appointment, which may be renewed once for three years at the most, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. The term of renewal begins immediately after the first term has expired. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a post-doctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- Your appointment will start on 1 October 2017 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information is available on our website.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on our website (in Dutch).
Apply online via this application before last application date (see above). Make sure you upload the following documents:
- application letter
- cv, including an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one file of maximum 5 MB)
- a transcript of the required degree (if you already have it)
- for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if you already have it)
We do not accept applications that are sent by e-mail or applications that lack (one of) the above-mentioned documents.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Dirk de Graaf (firstname.lastname@example.org, +32 9 264 87 32).